Marte Ramborg works as Agency Director at Spoon Agency Oslo. This is How she learns.
What is a typical day of work like for you?
– Well, agency life has very few ordinary days! I have surprisingly few internal meetings, we have certainly trimmed the office to spend as much time as possible on client work. My days are a mix of client work, HR, administration, and strategy.
One sentence that describes your learning style?
– Learning by doing – with others.
How do you learn new things in your professional role?
– I learn so much from working with my colleagues and clients. We are specialists to our clients in many fields, but all of them possess really interesting and valuable insights. We are privileged to be able to learn together with our international colleagues as well.
Where do you go to stay up to date with what´s happening in your field?
– Reading industry news, talking to colleagues here and in related businesses, reading a LOT of newspapers online and also on actual paper.
How do you learn new things in your private life?
– From my kids – keeping me up-to-date on a lot of things and keeping me on my toes by asking interesting questions like “how does the power balance in the EU work?”. I also read a lot.
What’s your favourite work-related shortcut or hack? And how did you learn it?
– My first boss thought it was necessary to have “instant competence”. It’s a term she made up, but I have used it a lot since. For me, it means to very quickly analyse a situation, scanning your experience for relevant info and coming up with possible ways of attacking the problem or situation fast. We worked a lot on crisis communication, but I find this approach to be useful in many other cases.
Do you have a strategy or trick for coming up with new ideas or concepts?
– Yes, talk to my colleagues. I am not the most creative person, but I do surround myself with some pretty awesome creatives and feel privileged for that!
What resource, book, online video or similar would you recommend to other marketers right now?
– StoryCo… of course!
What would you like to learn more about right now?
– I always want to be better at making presentations. But then I look at what my brilliant colleagues make and give up. I can’t compete. As Agency Director I always want to become a better leader. We are never done learning how to continually improve this workplace to make sure employees thrive, and clients are more than satisfied.
What do you think other marketers should learn right now?
– How to make sure we develop our businesses responsibly. There is this one planet, and we have to take care of it.